Friday, March 5, 2010


So on Thursday, (March 4th) we (Mom, Dad, Me) went back down to Salt Lake for some more tests. The first set of tests they put electrodes all over my leg and foot to test the muscle and nerve reactions. Obviously, I didn't pass that test with flying colors. Then the second round of tests, the Doctor stuck needles into my leg and thigh to test some more. This experience was a shocking one indeed. It obviously wasn't the worst thing I've ever felt... a few other incidences come to mind when I think of pain level. But, I would never want that done to anyone. I was so glad to have my parents there. Even though I'm turning 21 soon, I guess I should be more of an adult by now... Oh well... I'm not ashamed to admit how much I need my parents. If my Dad hadn't of been there to hold my hand it would've been alot worse. It was nice to have him right by me. It's also nice to know my Dad is stronger then the Incredible Hulk so I could squeeze his hand as hard as I want and it would never phase him. But in all seriousness, it was incredibly scary and I was crying through all of it.
The test results came back and it was pretty much what we were expecting. It proved that the tibial nerve was improving but still extremely damaged. The tibial nerve is the nerve that controls the back part of your leg and foot. This isn't completely damaged, but since this part of the nerve is better then the front part (I can never remember the name) explains why I can resist someone when they push my foot up and why i can slightly curl my toes. The front part of the nerve is significantly damaged more than the tibial nerve.
Because of all the unknowns and how much damage there is and how many things contribute to the damage they want to wait to do any more surgery's or to have exploration surgery's. There's still a good chance things can heal on there own, but the fact that we have to wait so much longer for any concrete answers, just adds to the timeline of recovery. But I'd rather the job be done right, then do something prematurely causing more damage. I'll have another set of electrial tests in 8 weeks to see if there are any improvements. Joyous.
But, other than being electrocuted, I've been doing just fine. I don't do much, but I'm looking to change that. There's only so many movies, TV shows and craft projects you can do without going crazy. My health has been fine which is a great blessing. Also, the pain has significantly dropped since the original accident. Oh, which reminds me, it was the two month anniversary yesterday. It was a very "shocking" anniversary. It's hard for me to tell, but my mom says every day there are small improvements. I'll take her word for it. :)


  1. Dang girl! That is so crazy. I'll be up there sometime this month and we'll have a girls night!

  2. Hang in there Nichelle! My mom says she needs a swimming buddy... maybe the two of you can hobble to the pool together!

  3. I am thinking I would like to see a picture of you with a graduation cap and your crutches. This is a big moment and should be celebrated with a ceremony. I wasn't valedictorian, but I would be willing to speak. Keep up the good work!